I have always wanted to visit Italy. It seems like the most magical place and the history is so interesting. This year I embarked on a challenge to teach myself to speak basic Italian. I have often found myself sitting at home with nothing to do and thought that this might be something to keep me occupied.
I use the website Duolingo to do the majority of my learning. It’s a crowd sourced learning website with the aim to translate many texts in order to publish them on the internet. The interface is extremely easy to use and works sort of like a game. You have various sections to complete and subsections within those. Once you complete a section, as well as various other tasks, you get lingots. These are a sort of currency that you can use to buy extra sections or tests. The whole site is completely free.
You can set a daily goal, with reminders to complete it, with the incentive that once you get to a certain number of day you will earn lingots. I love this idea, it is so much like a game that I am finding it very addictive and am actually interested in coming back to it every day after school. Each of the sections are very organised, with some really interesting topics cropping up at later stages. There are also a wide variety of languages to learn, including swedish, which I think sets this apart from some other online learning resources.
I am also a very competitive person, so I enjoy the fact that you can follow your friends and watch their progress. This makes me want to beat them so badly. (Sorry Becca, but I am going to finish my course before you finish yours!)What I’m trying to say is that I am immensely glad that I found Duolingo and will hopefully carry on using it for a while. If you want to start a new language or pick up where you have left off, this website is wonderful!
Have any of you used Duolingo?
My first weekly round-up of 2015! I do realise that It’s the end of February, but I’ve been super busy.
This week I have been…
Reading: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare. I love Cassandra Clare, but her books are always huge and take me forever to read. This is the 7th book I have read of hers.
Listening to: Anything by Taylor Swift. My Swift obsession is still happening, sorry Dad.
Watching: I started watching Arrow a couple of weeks ago and have nearly finished series one. it’s quite light-hearted and not nearly as crap as I thought it would be!
Enjoying: Being able to stay at home and do whatever I want! It’s so nice being on half term and I love ow peaceful it is.
Looking forward to: Going back to school. Okay, that’s a lie.
My favourite part of this week was the visit to the Tate Britain with my fabulous friends. I’ll probably do a write-up of that sometime next week. I don’t really get art, but it was enjoyable none the less.
See you next week!
Whoospy! I’ve been gone a very long time. Mostly because school work is finally catching up to me, but also because I’m hella lazy. Anyway, here is the Sisters of the World blog award.
Thank you to BookOlympus for nominating me!
1. Thank the blogger who nominated you, linking back to their site.
2. Put the award logo on your blog.
3. Answer the ten questions they’ve set you.
4. Make up ten new questions for your nominees to answer.
5. Nominate ten people.
Here are the questions that I was set:
- Favourite author? Why? – JK Rowling because I started to enjoy reading properly once I read Harry Potter.
- Do you read ebooks? – Yes! I love how portable my Kindle is.
- Do you review every book you’ve read? – No, I really don’t think I’d have enough time to do that!
- Do you listen to music while you’re reading? – Only if I’m reading somewhere public or at night. I like to block everything else out!
- Your opinion on audiobooks? – I find it kind of difficult to concentrate on them, but I used to love them when I was younger.
- If you could be a character for one day, who would you be? – Hermione, duh.
- If you could change the ending of a book, which one would you change? – Allegiant maybe. I already knew the ending because someone spoiled it for me. I’d like a new, not spoiled one.
- If an alien visited you and asked you to show it a book, which one would you choose? – A Game of Thrones. I’d tell them that you have to read it to be initiated into the Human race.
- The best song for your favourite book? – I have no idea tbh but I really like this at the moment so you should deffo listen.
- Favourite book-to-movie adaptation? – I think Mockingjay part 1 was awesome and better than the book, so does that count?
So I’m not going to nominate anyone, or actually write my own questions. That’s because this has been sitting in my drafts for a while and I’m currently working on a big cosplay project that will be needing my full attention!
See you soon,